7 Comments »Posted on Monday 21 September 2009 at 8:35 pm by Jacob Aron
In Getting It Wrong, Health & Medicine

Can this man cure cancer with his bare hands?” ask the Daily Mail. Well, no. But you probably guessed that already.

The man in question is Adrian Pengelly, a self-styled healer, energy worker, teacher, and psychic. Apparently he’s recently had a bit of bother from the BBC consumer programme Watchdog – presumably because people think he is lying to them and stealing their money.

Pengelly claims to have “magic hands” that can cure cancer. The lack of an apparent mechanism proof for his restorative powers doesn’t bother Pengelly; his power is in the “thousands of people saying they were healed” after his “treatment”. “I don’t care about scientific evidence,” he says. Until later in the article, that is:

“Some said I had a gift from God. But I just wanted to understand the science.

“I thought: “What is there? There’s only energy – electricity in different forms – and it floats.” I can feel energy come with one hand and draw it with another.

“Somehow the energy I was generating was stimulating the body’s immune system.”

That’s funny. Isn’t floaty electricity what “causes” the health problems of those poor electro-hypersensitive people? If only there was some way for us to tell what effect electricity has on the human body, some sort of method that could be applied scientifically. Nah, it’ll never work.

You can tell I’m in a pretty snarky mood this evening. But what else can you say about a man who claims to be able to heal from a distance, without knowing who he is healing?

“It may seem hard to believe that a healer can effect an improvement when he is hundreds or thousands of miles away from a patient, but time and time again the results have been seen to work…

“Adrian does not need to know the name, address, or any details of the person who needs healing. It seems to work regardless of this information.”

Wow, so something that has absolutely no effect can still have no effect at a distance! What a marvellous age we live in.

I probably don’t need even need to say it, but it’s clear that Pengelly offers nothing more than a placebo effect for those he treats – and he’s not even very good at it. In the Mail article, he claims to be able to cure 65% of cancer sufferers. I’d expect a little better from magic, especially at £30 a session!

1. 7 Comments

2. I am so sorry one of my elves has escaped again with a pocket full of pixie dust ! If you should see him please inform Trading Standards as they are looking for him, thats if “Little Helper” doesn’t track him down first and drag him back here to Lapland!

St Nick

By Santa clause on Wednesday 23 September, 2009 at 11:40 pm

3. Thank goodness at least you have a brain and have come down on the side of common sense. I think this floating electricity,energy, mumbo jumbo or whatever is frying their brains!

By Mrs Christmas on Thursday 24 September, 2009 at 11:58 am

4. Again we have someone that is so narrow minded and is not willing to believe in healing.

The Watchdog programme was ridiculous and never proved a thing!Who says there was NO spirits in the ‘haunted house’,oh Rogue Traders said there wasn’t so I guess they are the experts on the paranormal- a subject no one is an expert in, well done Rogue Traders!!!!!

All of was cheap, scabby television and there was not ONE complaint about Adrian.The only thing Rogue Traders claim is that he says “I can cure cancer. Because yes that is what he needs to say to get in any trouble and funnily enough he never said that at all- not even once, he has never said those words on his website either, duh !!!!

I have found so many forums in support of Adrian, it is unbelievable. Even the BBC site had over 80 comments, 70 of them supporting Adrian!Adrian made the tv crew look very stupid indeed hahahaha!

By Miss Xmas on Thursday 24 September, 2009 at 8:23 pm

5. Thumbs up to Adrian.Shame on Watchdog.What a complete Witch hunt.I have recently heard that they are being sued over this anyway. Bigger fools them for listening to clap trap from a nutty woman and a 2 bit paranormal group.

By Watcher on Thursday 24 September, 2009 at 8:26 pm

6. “I have found so many forums in support of Adrian, it is unbelievable. Even the BBC site had over 80 comments, 70 of them supporting Adrian!”

Welcome to the new dark ages…

By Tobias Malm on Sunday 27 September, 2009 at 10:28 am

7. Miss xmas are not you being narrow minded by insisting that everybody should believe in “faith healing” or keep their mouths shut but this man can go on the internet or in the papers and sell himself. He did say he cures cancer IT IS ON FILM!!!!I do believe that alternative therapies can be very useful putting people in the right frame of mind and physical well being to fight illness but what Mr Pengelly was claiming was something else

By Mrs Christmas on Sunday 27 September, 2009 at 6:19 pm

8. It seems that the only defense Pengelly supporters appear to have at present is to indicate “people had it in for him” from other postings accross the web. First there is no evidence of this but plenty on Pengellys lies and claims. And secondly are we expected to believe that the BBC/Watchdog are going to investigate someone on the basis of a gripe at someone they know? What next someone reporting their ex? Of course not you pengellyphiles. The story and the evidence had to be there for them to investigate. The fact is Pengelly, as many know, was investigated prior to Watchdog and there were several articles written on him. Many are still availble on the web. Things like his illegal Cancer claims were pointed out. Did he do something about it and put the wrongs right? No. So the fact is that Watchdog had the evidence they needed from his own words, interviews he had done and his website prior to producing the show. Its never been proven that someone reported him, but if that is the case and it should be frowned on then we best get rid of things like Crimestoppers, because we will probably find other criminals complaining that someone has reported their crimes when they are caught with the evidence around them. Im off now to report to BBC Watchdog my neighbour I dislike ;-) Get a grip!!

By SpookyAngel23 on Monday 28 September, 2009 at 7:40 am

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.